Just a final note to say you could replace the maple syrup with honey and I think you'd get a similar result. Same with buttermilk - if you can't get it (though nowadays it is normally stocked in all supermarkets) use a half and half mixture of plain yoghurt and milk.
To make about 10 (depending on how much you fill your muffin tin!):
280 g wholemeal flour
60 g porridge oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
225 g buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
120 g butter
175 g maple syrup
- Whisk all your wet ingredients together: beaten eggs, maple syrup, buttermilk, and melted butter.
- Then mix your dry: flour, baking powder, bicarb, salt, and oats.
- Now whisk your wet into your dry.
- Pour the batter into the holes of greased muffin tin - don't totally fill each hole, just do them about 80% full, or 90% if you like a billowing, over the top style!
- For my second batch (my muffin tin only fits 6 at a time), I sprinkled them with brown sugar and they came out really well. Best enjoyed straight from oven with butter and jam. And a cup of tea. Obviously!